Why is it important to show respect on social media?
Social media, the platform that gives us all a voice and an opinion that most of us give whether it's wanted or not! Keyboard warriors are everywhere, hiding behind our screens and typing comments we would never in a million years say to people's faces. Some of our comments are hurtful, disrespectful and derogatory to others.
As a martial artist we should not change our character just because we are behind a computer screen. We should still aim to be polite, courteous and respectful to everyone. Thinking about our actions and words are crucial in bettering ourselves. So please think before you type. Here are some ways we can do this.
1. Respect the fact everyone can have a different opinion to you. Yours is not right, they are not wrong, they are different. Differences should be respected.
2. If you can't be positive and helpful then don't comment just to pull someone else down.
3. Never think you are better than anyone. Never look at an image and comment that you or your club is better. You have no idea of the journey anyone is on. Respect the fact they are taking part at all.
4. Don't argue on social media. Black belts and so called Master's arguing is ridiculous. If you don't agree respectfully say why, then leave it.
5. Don't post anything that will upset anyone else. Bad language and bad attitudes can disrespect many people. Don't do it.
6. If you can't say anything positive then don't say anything. You don't have to comment and give your opinion every single time. This may be a shock but your opinion doesn't matter.
Showing respect is simple. Think before you post, think before you speak and think before you act. As martial artists we should do this as often as we can. Mindfulness is what we strive for.